Saturday, May 1, 2010

Project Progre$$

Doing research for my "How to Live a Sustainable Lifestyle in the Dorms" is going well. I have actually been very surprised at how green UCLA is; we are undoubtedly becoming more sustainable every day.

So far, I have focused on how UCLA as a university and the UCLA student body use water and energy. Measures taken by the Facilities Management on the Hill have proved immensely effective in making UCLA a greener campus. For example, solar panels on the roofs of major dorms on the Hill have helped reduce UCLA's carbon footprint, as less energy is needed to heat the water on the Hill. In my responses below I have many more examples of the ways that UCLA has become a role model within the eco-conscious world. I also have realized that as UCLA improves its energy efficiency, it will also save hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of dollars per year. UCLA's decisions to be more sustainable may be driven by the economic benefits. Even if this is true, it is certainly a justifiable reason to why UCLA should become more green and will only open push UCLA down an even more sustainable route.

As I find more tid-bits about how to live a sustainable lifestyle in a dorm, I will add them to my blog. I was realizing how it would be ironic if I printed out a pamphlet of how to live sustainably (wasting paper isn't so green...) so now I am actually thinking about presenting my project by using a slide show of pictures and doing a voice-over speaking of the information I learned and more. I would love to hear if this seems like a good idea, so please let me know!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, that sounds like a great idea! What a great idea for a project. I had no idea we were converting to solar energy.

    ReplyDelete